This week we are looking at everyday objects in our 52 week Photography Challenge.
The rules are simple: Interpret the theme using digital photography on any device. Only minimal editing allowed.
See the ordinary in new ways.
This challenge is for everyone! All you have to do is look around you.
The objects that surround us in our everyday lives might seem mundane, but use some creative lighting or composition, and you will see them in a whole new light.
It's true that the busyness of our daily lives occupies mental space- errands to be run, food to be cooked, places to be. But if you can make a habit of taking a moment or two to appreciate the visual environment around you, you will be amazed at what turns up.
You might notice that the object photos I have here are very different, however, they have one thing in common...
Perhaps its the absence of human elements; the objects are made for human use but are not being used, that creates a calming, quiet mood.
This challenge is not so much about technical aspects of photography, more to develop the 'photographic eye' and composition skills. You can take a photo of any old thing, but the test is whether it will form a pleasing image.
To make everyday objects into works of art, composition and lighting are the most important elements.
When framing up your shot, remember composition guidelines of the rule of thirds, or the golden ratio/mean. Both are visual guidelines that when placed over the image, assist in the placement of elements within the frame . This article explains both methods really well.
Lighting is also very important, an image can be well composed, but if it doesn't have good lighting- it's all for nought!
What is good lighting you ask?
Essentially lighting that enhances the object or a section of your composition. Avoid flat lighting or conditions where the subject is evenly dispersed across the frame. The goal for lighting is to direct your viewer's eye to the place in the frame that is most important- the focal point.
The best thing about shooting everyday objects is that they are easily accessible- you won't have to look too hard to find something interesting to shoot.
- Composition- make sure your arrange the elements in the frame in a pleasing way- this takes loads of practice but is a very important skill to master.
- Lighting- look for conditions where the lighting enhances the object.
- Editing- cropping and brightness adjustments are good ways to correct your images. Editing is also a great way to learn how changes to cropping for example can change the whole composition.
What new things will you see in the everyday?
- September 2018
- August 2018
- Jul 30, 2018 Street Photography: Week 30 of 52 Photo Challenge. Jul 30, 2018
- Jul 23, 2018 Shadows: Week 29 of 52 Photo Challenge. Jul 23, 2018
- Jul 16, 2018 Geometric Shapes: Week 28 of 52 Photo Challenge. Jul 16, 2018
- Jul 9, 2018 White: Week 27 of 52 Photo Challenge. Jul 9, 2018
- Jul 2, 2018 Best so far: Week 26 of 52 Photo Challenge. Jul 2, 2018
- June 2018
- May 28, 2018 Yellow: Week 21 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 28, 2018
- May 21, 2018 Organic Shapes: Week 20 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 21, 2018
- May 15, 2018 Movement: Week 19 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 15, 2018
- May 7, 2018 Frames: Week 18 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 7, 2018
- May 1, 2018 Street: Week 17 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- Feb 26, 2018 Leading Lines: Week 8 of 52 Photo Challenge. Feb 26, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Can you learn to be Creative? Feb 21, 2018
- Feb 19, 2018 Black and White photography: Week 7 of 52 Photo Challenge Feb 19, 2018
- Feb 14, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 6 of 52 Feb 14, 2018
- Feb 5, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 5 of 52 Feb 5, 2018
- Jan 29, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 4 of 52 Jan 29, 2018
- Jan 21, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 3 of 52 Jan 21, 2018
- Jan 19, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 2 of 52 Jan 19, 2018
- Jan 19, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 1 of 52 Jan 19, 2018
- Jan 15, 2018 Top 5 Tips to Organise your Photo Files Jan 15, 2018
- Jan 7, 2018 52 Week Photo Challenge Jan 7, 2018
- December 2017
- Nov 22, 2017 Calling all Creatives Nov 22, 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- May 20, 2017 Smartphonography Workshop Coming May 20, 2017
- April 2017
- Mar 29, 2017 Upcoming workshop Mar 29, 2017
- September 2016