Theme: Street Photography
Our 52 week Photography Challenge takes us to the streets this week to explore the genre of street photography.
The rules are simple: Interpret the theme using digital photography on any device. Only minimal editing allowed.
What is 'Street Photography'?
Some define it as a specific genre or style, others prefer not to categorise, but essentially it is candid photography of daily life and often but not always including human interactions. A lot of photographers prefer to find their subjects in streets and public areas, hence the term 'street'.
The immediacy of the style means that there is often no time to prepare for the shot. Therefore technical aspects such as focus, composition etc are not a high priority- rather, off kilter composition, blur and grain often add to the sense of the fleeting moment.
The candid quality of street photography implies that the photographer needs to capture brief, fleeting moments. Since these moments are unscripted, the camera needs to be ready and not conspicuous. Once people realise they are being photographed, they tend to behave differently.
As the photographer needs to be 'invisible' in order to capture those fleeting moments, an ethical and legal dilemma is born.
Depending upon which country you are in, there are specific privacy laws that can prevent taking photographs of people without their permission. Some people have genuine reasons why they don't want to be photographed and that's fair enough. Having said that, once someone steps out into a public space, their right to privacy is tougher to defend. It all comes down to the intended purpose of the image...
Images of people taken without permission and used for commercial purposes- advertising, branding etc, is a definite NO NO! Photography for that purpose ALWAYS requires permission via a signed model release and usually payment.
However, if you are shooting for artistic purposes to explore the style and create images that represent the world as you see it, you are good to go! * please check the locals laws to be certain.
A word of caution, consider the appropriateness of your location and the type of people you want to capture. Concentrating your attention on the disabled or small children in their bathers would raise questions about your intentions. These subjects are best tackled with permission.
If people notice I have taken their photo and want to ask me questions, I am always happy to explain my reasons. If they are made uncomfortable I am happy to delete the shot- although this rarely happens.
This challenge is all about intuition. Ditch the technical stuff and capture the sense of those fleeting moments that happen all around us on a daily basis.
To help your audience get the most out of your images,
- Choose a busy place and wait for the moments to come.
- Try to be inconspicuous- easy with a smartphone, a little tougher with a (D)SLR.
- If people approach you, explain your reasons for taking the shot- show them- delete if they are uncomfortable
- Sensitive subjects such as children and the disabled should be approached with permission.
- Where possible do not direct attention to faces or obscure them if country laws are restrictive.
How will you make the every day moments special?
- December 2018
- November 2018
- Oct 29, 2018 Symmetry: Week 43 of 52 Photo Challenge. Oct 29, 2018
- Oct 22, 2018 Conceptual: Week 42 of 52 Photo Challenge. Oct 22, 2018
- Oct 15, 2018 Point of View: Week 41 of 52 Photo Challenge. Oct 15, 2018
- Oct 8, 2018 Black: Week 40 of 52 Photo Challenge. Oct 8, 2018
- Oct 1, 2018 Flowers: Week 39 of 52 Photo Challenge. Oct 1, 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- Jul 30, 2018 Street Photography: Week 30 of 52 Photo Challenge. Jul 30, 2018
- Jul 23, 2018 Shadows: Week 29 of 52 Photo Challenge. Jul 23, 2018
- Jul 16, 2018 Geometric Shapes: Week 28 of 52 Photo Challenge. Jul 16, 2018
- Jul 9, 2018 White: Week 27 of 52 Photo Challenge. Jul 9, 2018
- Jul 2, 2018 Best so far: Week 26 of 52 Photo Challenge. Jul 2, 2018
- June 2018
- May 28, 2018 Yellow: Week 21 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 28, 2018
- May 21, 2018 Organic Shapes: Week 20 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 21, 2018
- May 15, 2018 Movement: Week 19 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 15, 2018
- May 7, 2018 Frames: Week 18 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 7, 2018
- May 1, 2018 Street: Week 17 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- Feb 26, 2018 Leading Lines: Week 8 of 52 Photo Challenge. Feb 26, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Can you learn to be Creative? Feb 21, 2018
- Feb 19, 2018 Black and White photography: Week 7 of 52 Photo Challenge Feb 19, 2018
- Feb 14, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 6 of 52 Feb 14, 2018
- Feb 5, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 5 of 52 Feb 5, 2018
- Jan 29, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 4 of 52 Jan 29, 2018
- Jan 21, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 3 of 52 Jan 21, 2018
- Jan 19, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 2 of 52 Jan 19, 2018
- Jan 19, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 1 of 52 Jan 19, 2018
- Jan 15, 2018 Top 5 Tips to Organise your Photo Files Jan 15, 2018
- Jan 7, 2018 52 Week Photo Challenge Jan 7, 2018
- December 2017
- Nov 22, 2017 Calling all Creatives Nov 22, 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- May 20, 2017 Smartphonography Workshop Coming May 20, 2017
- April 2017
- Mar 29, 2017 Upcoming workshop Mar 29, 2017
- September 2016