This week in our 52 week Photography Challenge, we look at the colour of joy, confidence and happiness: Yellow.
The rules are simple: Interpret the theme using digital photography on any device. Only minimal editing allowed.
Yellow is an amazingly versatile colour.
Commonly associated with positive feelings, research on the psychology of the colour yellow evokes optimism, playfulness and extroversion.
Before we start shooting, we should understand the technical aspects of colour theory.
Let's take a quick look at the characteristics of colour
One of the most universally accepted methods of describing the characteristics of colour is The Munsell System (1912)
His theory identifies colour as having three components...
HUE- or the colour name
VALUE- or the level of brightness- how light or dark? Colours with low value are dark and called 'shades', while those with lighter values are called 'tints'.
CHROMA- the saturation or vividness of the hue. Colours with low chroma are pale, washed out, while colours with high chroma are bright and intense.
As we know in everyday life, there is so much more to colour than hue, the brightness and saturation of the colour add extra dimensions to the way we perceive meanings associated with the colour. For example, you wouldn't want a low chroma red ( pastel pink) to act as a danger sign.
This is a great challenge to develop an a new appreciation for colour while honing your photographer's eye. As a subject alone or as a point of contrast, the range of yellows in the natural and man- made worlds is limitless.
Now that you know some colour theory, try to apply it to your images.
Some tips to help you on your way are;
- Decide if the colour is enough to stand on it's own as the subject.
- If the image is about the colour as the subject, make sure the available light is good enough to be able to highlight the colour at it's best.
- Look for ways to contrast the colour with something else within the frame.
How will you choose to feature yellows in your next image?
- June 2018
- May 28, 2018 Yellow: Week 21 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 28, 2018
- May 21, 2018 Organic Shapes: Week 20 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 21, 2018
- May 15, 2018 Movement: Week 19 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 15, 2018
- May 7, 2018 Frames: Week 18 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 7, 2018
- May 1, 2018 Street: Week 17 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- Feb 26, 2018 Leading Lines: Week 8 of 52 Photo Challenge. Feb 26, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Can you learn to be Creative? Feb 21, 2018
- Feb 19, 2018 Black and White photography: Week 7 of 52 Photo Challenge Feb 19, 2018
- Feb 14, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 6 of 52 Feb 14, 2018
- Feb 5, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 5 of 52 Feb 5, 2018
- Jan 29, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 4 of 52 Jan 29, 2018
- Jan 21, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 3 of 52 Jan 21, 2018
- Jan 19, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 2 of 52 Jan 19, 2018
- Jan 19, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 1 of 52 Jan 19, 2018
- Jan 15, 2018 Top 5 Tips to Organise your Photo Files Jan 15, 2018
- Jan 7, 2018 52 Week Photo Challenge Jan 7, 2018
- December 2017
- Nov 22, 2017 Calling all Creatives Nov 22, 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- May 20, 2017 Smartphonography Workshop Coming May 20, 2017
- April 2017
- Mar 29, 2017 Upcoming workshop Mar 29, 2017
- September 2016