This week in our 52 week Photography Challenge, we look into the faces of humanity.
The human face is one of the most compelling photographic subjects to shoot.
In the book "Photographic Psychology : Image and Psych", John Suler gives us the reason why faces are so wonderful to photograph.
It's the single most important visual feature that determines identity, and it makes a powerful impression on one's memory. As highly social creatures, we are constantly assessing our social interactions by tuning into what people are doing with their faces in reaction to us. The variety of ways we communicate with our expressions is no less complex than the variety of ways we think and feel. For these reasons, it isn't surprising that there are more photographs of human faces than anything else, and we never grow tired of them. read more
There are lots of photographic genres or categories that involve the human face. Studio portraiture, candid portraiture and street photography to name a few. The images I have included here are all candid using available light.
I have intentionally included photos of people who are from a range of cultures- except caucasian. You will notice that all of these beautiful people are happy, content and confident. Each one has a sense of dignity that is achieved by having them look at the lens while they continue what they were doing.
'Construction Worker' © Naida Ginnane 2015 Nikon D800, 24-70mm lens f/6.3, 1/250, ISO 100. Singapore relies heavily on foreign workers for construction jobs. I walked my dogs past a group of Indian workers every day for several months before I plucked up the courage to ask if I could take a photo. Later I returned with small prints for the workers to keep and send home to their families, who they had not seen for years. Needless to say, they were extremely grateful.
Unlike street photography, candid portraits usually involve a conversation and permission granted before taking the shot.
Some tips to help you on your way are;
- Spend some time engaging with the potential subject- ask questions about what they are doing before asking for permission to shoot.
- Try to think of ways to thank the subject for their image. Suggestions are
- If you use a DSLR or smartphone, show them the image in the preview screen- they will get a kick out of seeing themselves.
- Before you go out shooting, fill your pockets with small treats from the local shop.
- Use a portable printer to give them an instant copy of their image that they can keep. In poorer countries, this is very much appreciated.
- In heavily touristed places some subjects will expect money, that's ok but I try to avoid giving money if possible.
- Note: unless you have obtained a written media release form you cannot use images of people to sell, market or gain a profit.
Now get out there, make friends with a stranger and take their candid portrait!
- September 2018
- August 2018
- Jul 30, 2018 Street Photography: Week 30 of 52 Photo Challenge. Jul 30, 2018
- Jul 23, 2018 Shadows: Week 29 of 52 Photo Challenge. Jul 23, 2018
- Jul 16, 2018 Geometric Shapes: Week 28 of 52 Photo Challenge. Jul 16, 2018
- Jul 9, 2018 White: Week 27 of 52 Photo Challenge. Jul 9, 2018
- Jul 2, 2018 Best so far: Week 26 of 52 Photo Challenge. Jul 2, 2018
- June 2018
- May 28, 2018 Yellow: Week 21 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 28, 2018
- May 21, 2018 Organic Shapes: Week 20 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 21, 2018
- May 15, 2018 Movement: Week 19 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 15, 2018
- May 7, 2018 Frames: Week 18 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 7, 2018
- May 1, 2018 Street: Week 17 of 52 Photo Challenge. May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- Feb 26, 2018 Leading Lines: Week 8 of 52 Photo Challenge. Feb 26, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Can you learn to be Creative? Feb 21, 2018
- Feb 19, 2018 Black and White photography: Week 7 of 52 Photo Challenge Feb 19, 2018
- Feb 14, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 6 of 52 Feb 14, 2018
- Feb 5, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 5 of 52 Feb 5, 2018
- Jan 29, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 4 of 52 Jan 29, 2018
- Jan 21, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 3 of 52 Jan 21, 2018
- Jan 19, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 2 of 52 Jan 19, 2018
- Jan 19, 2018 Photo Challenge Week 1 of 52 Jan 19, 2018
- Jan 15, 2018 Top 5 Tips to Organise your Photo Files Jan 15, 2018
- Jan 7, 2018 52 Week Photo Challenge Jan 7, 2018
- December 2017
- Nov 22, 2017 Calling all Creatives Nov 22, 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- May 20, 2017 Smartphonography Workshop Coming May 20, 2017
- April 2017
- Mar 29, 2017 Upcoming workshop Mar 29, 2017
- September 2016